Newsom to withdraw troops from border

California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) plans Monday to withdraw several hundred National Guard troops from the state’s southern border with Mexico in defiance of the Trump administration’s request for support from border states.

About 100 of the 360 troops will remain deployed under California’s agreement with the federal government to focus on combating transnational crime such as drug and gun smuggling, Newsom spokesman Nathan Click said. They will be tasked with providing intelligence on transnational crime and assist with cargo dock operations and searches of commercial trucks for contraband.

Newsom’s move comes on the heels of New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham, also a Democrat, pulling back her state’s troops from the U.S.-Mexico border. Former governors of the states agreed to send troops to the border in April at the Trump administration’s request.

— Associated Press


Denver teachers planning to strike

Denver teachers are planning to strike Monday for the first time in 25 years after failed negotiations with the school district over base pay.

The teachers union and Denver Public Schools met Saturday in an attempt to reach a new contract after more than a year of negotiations, but both sides left disappointed.

The Denver Classroom Teachers Association released a statement after the meeting saying the district’s proposal lacks transparency and “pushes for failed incentives for some over meaningful base salary for all.”

“We will strike Monday for our students and for our profession, and perhaps then DPS will get the message and return to the bargaining table with a serious proposal aimed at solving the teacher turnover crisis in Denver,” said Henry Roman, president of the teachers union.

Meanwhile, schools Superintendent Susana Cordova said she was “extremely disappointed” that the union walked away from the table instead of continuing to work toward an agreement.

Teachers plan to picket around the city beginning Monday as the district tries to keep schools open by staffing them with administrators and substitutes. The district has canceled classes for about 5,000 preschoolers.

— Associated Press

South Carolina deputy fatally shoots man: A police call that began with a complaint about a possible poisoning ended with a sheriff’s deputy fatally shooting a man in South Carolina early Sunday, authorities said. A statement from the Greenville County Sheriff’s Office said a man called 911 about 1:30 a.m. saying he was being poisoned. Deputies arriving at a home heard a man inside claiming to have a gun and then a gunshot. A man came outside and began shooting and pointing the gun at officers, the statement said. At least one deputy returned fire, killing a man identified by the coroner as Willie Jermaine Robinson, 34, of Greenville. Deputies later found a woman inside the house who had been shot by the man, authorities said. Her injuries were not considered life-threatening. A department spokesman told the Greenville News that “several deputies” have been placed on administrative leave.

Man charged in fatal shooting of Milwaukee officer: A man who was charged Sunday with killing a Milwaukee officer during a drug raid on his home told investigators that he didn’t realize it was police trying to break down his door, authorities said. Jordan P. Fricke, 26, is charged with first-degree intentional homicide and other counts in the fatal shooting of officer Matthew Rittner, 35, who was part of a tactical unit trying to serve a warrant to search the home for illegal drugs and weapons on Wednesday morning.

Utah man dies in avalanche: A man from central Utah is dead after an avalanche buried him while he was snowmobiling about 45 miles northwest of Salt Lake City, authorities said. Summit County sheriff’s officials said the slide triggered Saturday afternoon near Coalville trapped the man in deep snow. The Deseret News reported that two fellow riders were able to dig the victim out after about half an hour. They administered lifesaving efforts for more than 40 minutes until emergency personnel arrived. A Utah Department of Public Safety helicopter flew the 49-year-old man to a hospital, but he was declared dead. His name was being withheld until family members are notified.

— From news services

Source link

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *