Mr. Salcedo designated Ms. Sui’s son as a recruit for his team, the indictment said, and the young man was admitted to U.C.L.A. as a soccer recruit in November 2018, with a 25 percent scholarship.
Mr. Salcedo has been charged with racketeering conspiracy and has pleaded not guilty.
In a conference call in late October 2018 with Mr. Singer, Ms. Sui, Recruiter 1 and a translator, Mr. Singer said he needed Ms. Sui to wire him $100,000, which would be paid to Mr. Salcedo, the indictment said, adding that Ms. Sui sent the money, followed by $300,000 more several months later. Mr. Singer paid Mr. Salcedo $100,000, the indictment says.
The charges against Ms. Sui deepen U.C.L.A.’s involvement in the college admissions case. A California couple has pleaded guilty to paying Mr. Singer $250,000 to secure their daughter’s admission to U.C.L.A. as a soccer recruit, even though she did not play soccer; prosecutors have said Mr. Singer paid Mr. Salcedo $100,000 for that student as well.
Last week, The Los Angeles Times reported that U.C.L.A. had missed a chance to stop Mr. Singer in 2014, when an internal investigation by the university found evidence that he was encouraging parents to donate money to the athletic department in order to get their students admitted as athletic recruits, and that in one case, he had offered to create a fake athletic profile for an applicant in a sport she did not play.
A spokesman for U.C.L.A., Tod Tamberg, said on Monday that when Mr. Singer was questioned in the course of that investigation, he denied telling parents that admission could be purchased with a financial contribution.
Asked about Ms. Sui’s son’s status, Mr. Tamberg said that federal law and university policy prevented him from commenting. But he said that in general, the university could revoke the admission of any student found to have lied on his or her application, and that the university was “not aware of any currently enrolled student-athletes who are under suspicion” by the Justice Department for possible admissions fraud.